The title of this post is meaningful to us. Why? Well I'll tell you why. It's a line from a song that Nate wrote. This song has been 3 1/2 years in the making. He began writing it when we were in the midst of our fertility struggle; and finished it when we were holding our little miracle.
Yep, many of you know that Abbigail Lynn Sommers arrived on August 14, 2010. Weighing in at 8lbs and measuring 19 inches long. Everyday since then has been filled with more joy than we could imagine.
We'll be playing Nates' song at Abbigail's dedication next sunday, but I thought I'd share the words now.
Wanting to be a mom and a dad
Longing for something they couldn't have
Prayed so hard, almost gave up
When should they say enough is just enough
Can faith really make a difference?
Can love make it come to be?
Bring me home, wrap me closely in your arms
Let me know that you are here
Hold me closer in your arms
I want to feel you here
Not knowing when, not knowing why
the fear and pain keep me cold inside
The tears in her eyes, what do I say
How do I tell her it will be ok
Can faith really make a difference?
Can love make it come to be?
Bring me home, wrap me closely in your arms
Let me know you are here
Hold me closer in your arms
I want to feel you here
Now there is a mom and a dad
holding something they thought they'd never have
Cause faith, can really make a difference
Cause love, can make it come to be
Bring me home, wrap me closely in your arms
Let me know that you are here
Hold me closer in your arms
I want to feel you here
The song pretty much sums it up for us. For so long we've struggled, hurt, waited and prayed for a child. Over and over we felt God leading us to keep pushing on; that He would bless us with a child. His timing is perfect, even when we can't understand why. I still can't say why we had to travel this road, or why it took so long. I may never know. I hope our struggle will somehow bring glory to Him and touch someone's life. I believe that God was preparing us for Abbigail; not just any baby; but the one he blessed us with. It's our prayer that she will someday know that faith can really make a difference; that there is a God who will walk with her in the happiest of times and in the darkest of times. We pray that she will seek and find him and KNOW that He is God.
With her dedication a week away I'm finding that I'm more "reflective" on our journey here and the future yet to come. What kind of parents will we be? What kind of child will Abbi be? Are we living for Christ in such a dynamic way, that anyone who comes in contact with us knows Who we live for? Are we living for Christ the same way within the 4 walls of our home, that our children will know beyond a doubt that He is Lord? Everything I say and do will have an impact on my daughters' life. That's a HUGE responsibility, one that can't be taken lightly. It's a HUGE blessing and honor to have such an influence. How will I use my influence? How will Christ use His influence through me?
Time will tell... the future is still that... the future. Here in the now; I will treasure every moment. I will pray for the days needs and know that they will be provided. I will pray for the future and know that it will be taken care of. I will trust. I will rejoice.
"We prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted us what we asked of Him. So now we give her to the Lord." (1 Samuel 1:27-28 - paraphrased)

No comments:
Post a Comment